Monday, May 24, 2010

The Group as an Ecosystem

(Everything has it's niche)
The participants that we work with in groups are living organisms. No big surprise, or Earth shattering information there. They are capable of growth, change, production, and consumption. As a group of organisms existing within their niche, doing their job, they are part of an ecosystem. A dynamic and ever changing system that is seeking a balance that may not exist since the group is an open system and outside influences may exert influence on the ecosystem. If the group is an ecosystem, our course, program area, or facility, is the biome or even the bioregion where this ecosystem is currently existing. The group's home office, school, or community is the "natural" biome or bioregion where the ecosystem is usually found.
When the group comes to our program or we bring one to them, we are exerting an influence on the group. A change in the ecosystem has occurred, and the ecosystem will react. As facilitators we observe this reaction in the group process from our initial introduction to a closing statement. The group ecosystem is learning to adapt to this new influence. As each individual reacts to the new stimuli which is us the facilitator, the other members of the ecosystem will also react. It is in these reactions that we facilitate our program and challenge the group. 
As you facilitate your group, look for people playing different roles, or trying to fill their niche. Who are the producers in the group? Are there any primary consumers? Who is the top consumer of energy? Who are the decomposers and scavengers that are busy working on taking the group's "waste" and transforming it into useful nutrients? Is the ecosystem relying on you to be the decomposer? Is the waste being recycled or are there signs of bioaccumulation? 
Is there "biodiversity" in the group? And is the group striving for biodiversity or are they working to create a monoculture? Is there someone who is the Sun, and providing all the energy for the group? As your group progresses through your program, are they creating positive or negative feedback loops? Do you know the difference in ecological terms? And how could you use that knowledge?
There are some factors that we as facilitators can have control over. Is the biome your program creates the correct one for your group ecosystem? Or are you having your tropical ecosystem try and thrive in a temperate forest biome? What can you change so that your program is providing what the ecosystem needs to thrive and become stronger? What can you introduce into the ecosystem to help it develop and find optimal growth? Are there invasive plants or organisms that you see need to be removed from the ecosystem? 
I encourage you to take a look at your programming to see how healthy is the biome you provide for your group ecosystems that visit. And as you facilitate a group, notice what "environmental" or "ecological" factors are present or absent from your process. What can you change as an environmental architect? I always welcome comments on this ongoing exploration of the Ropes of Ecology. 


As always, you can leave a comment here or email me at:

You can also check out our Facebook page.
Or even follow A Single Footstep on Twitter.

What roots are you fostering?

2 comments:

  1. Like the post. I would be interested to know what kinds of ways you challenge the group to get the most effective information. What kind of stimuli do you put on the ecosystem and what type of response do you expect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and great questions Andy. I will do a posting on your questions, but let me give you some thoughts. In order to challenge a group to discover the information they need, I try and have a conversation with the group organizer before the program. The more information I can have about the group's goals, vision, and program expectations, the better I can prepare for the program. I also visit the group's website if they have one to learn a little more about what they put out to the public.
    During the program, I will often ask groups what they perceive as the biggest stumbling blocks they face as a group or team. This gives me some more information to work with. Also during the program I focus on my awareness of what is going on in the group. Based on the group's place in the Group Development spectrum, I might adjust what activities I choose or which processing method I use.
    A for stimuli, each activity can bring different challenges to each group. If a group is having difficulty in communication, I will choose activities that really stress communication, and I might even stop and have a discussion on what makes good communication. Sometimes I choose activities that will challenge the group, other times I provide them with an activity that will most likely give them a success. It all depends on where they want to be at the end of the program, or where I can get them to on their spectrum of needs. I have also done things like remove verbal communication, had the group decide what the parameters of the activity are going to be.
    After running programs for years, I have a good idea of how many groups will do in many activities, groups can always surprise me. I try and keep my expectations in check and respond to what is happening in the group. I hope that helps a little.

    ReplyDelete